(DWEQ) DORSEY WRIGHT ALPHA EQUAL WEIGHT ETF
The AdvisorShares Dorsey Wright Alpha Equal Weight ETF (Ticker: DWEQ) is an actively managed ETF that takes a modern sector rotation approach to domestic large cap equity equal weight investing. Using Nasdaq Dorsey Wright’s (Dorsey Wright) disciplined and quantitative proprietary relative strength research, DWEQ implements a two-factor approach to invest in top-ranked U.S. equity securities within the tax-efficient structure of an ETF. First, industry sectors are ranked based on relative strength. Next, from the three top rated sectors, individual equity securities are selected based on their relative strength ratings with those displaying both a buy or bullish signal and rising price momentum (both the “B” and “X” columns in point and figure charting) given higher ratings. DWEQ systematically reviews and rotates into the highest ranked sectors by reallocating to the highest ranked equity securities in those sectors. DWEQ also utilizes defensive investing features, allowing it to gradually add cash based on overall market momentum indicators. When cash is defensively added to the portfolio, DWEQ will reassess the strategy’s momentum indicators so as to move back into equity exposure once broad equity strength is displayed.
DWEQ’s investment strategy follows Dorsey Wright’s core philosophy of relative strength investing – buying securities that have appreciated in price more than other securities within the investment universe and holding those securities until they exhibit sell signals. The systematic nature of Dorsey Wright’s process removes emotion from the day-to-day decision making. Stock selection is strictly based on the highest ranked securities within the highest ranked sectors as measured by the relative strength investment process.
|Symbol||Exchange||Inception Date||CUSIP||Indicative Value|
<strong>Why Invest in DWEQ?</strong>
- Alpha-Seeking Complement to Broad Based Exposure – Broad based indexes, by their nature, have the good and the bad, the strong and the weak. DWEQ seeks to add alpha using Dorsey Wright’s historically successful trend following process that looks to identify the strongest sectors and companies, while eliminating the weakest performers.
- Active Management Advantage – Many large-cap ETFs passively invest owning the majority of the stocks represented in their benchmark index, including those with less than attractive investing attributes. DWEQ’s investment process systematically screens 1,000 of the large U.S. equity securities for inclusion or removal from its highly selective, active portfolio.
- Sector Rotation – Numerous academic studies have shown that successful sector rotation is one of the important determinants of portfolio success. Sectors rotate in and out of season. Sometimes those trends last for years, other times for months. By investing in the highest relative strength rated sectors, DWEQ seeks to capture the growth of the positive outliers on the bell curve of sector returns while avoiding the negative outliers.
- Systematic Defense – Because we believe avoiding severe losses helps to preserve capital and can contribute to good performance over time, DWEQ uses a rules-based approach to tactically add cash or short-term fixed income exposure to the portfolio when momentum indicators are triggered. The temporary defensive position is to try to shield the portfolio from certain catastrophic market types.
<strong>Where Can DWEQ Fit in a Traditional Portfolio?</strong>
DWEQ can serve as an alpha-seeking complement to a broad-based market cap weighted position, such as a fund that tracks the S&P 500 Index, as well as, a stand-alone investment solution for domestic large cap equity exposure.
- Concentrated Portfolio– DWEQ typically has a portfolio of 40 to 50 large cap domestic equities.
- Targeted Sector Exposure – By tactically allocating to the top-ranked sectors based on relative strength analysis, DWEQ will adjust and rotate into the sectors with the highest relative strength, and equally allocate across those sectors.
- Highest Ranked Stocks– Stocks selected for each sector must demonstrate both a buy or bullish signal and rising price momentum (both the “B” and “X” columns in point and figure charting). DWEQ will systematically rebalance on an equal weight basis into the most favorably identified individual securities within the top ranked sectors.
- Relative Strength Analysis– DWEQ uses a relative strength strategy, which compares price performance within a universe of stocks and is designed to remove human emotion from the decision process. This is a disciplined, repeatable process to systematically identify and select which sectors and stocks to own, as well as, which to avoid or sell.
- Tactical Defensive Investing– When the market demonstrates overall weakness, DWEQ will gradually allocate to cash or short term fixed income. This cash allocation will incrementally increase or decrease based on whether the momentum indicator is showing overall market strength or weakness versus cash.
<strong>About the Portfolio Manager</strong>
Nasdaq Dorsey Wright, Model Manager Nasdaq Dorsey Wright is a registered investment advisory firm based in Richmond, Virginia. Since 1987, Dorsey Wright has offered comprehensive investment research and analysis through their Global Technical Research Platform. Dorsey Wright’s expertise is technical analysis, utilizing Point & Figure Charting, Relative Strength Analysis, and numerous other technical and systematic tools to analyze market data and deliver actionable insights.
Robert M. Parker, CFA, Portfolio Manager Rob Parker is the director of capital markets for AdvisorShares Investments, where he oversees trading, portfolio management and fund operations activity for the firm. In managing DWUS, he leverages the research of Nasdaq Dorsey Wright. Rob holds the Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA) designation and is a member of the CFA Society of Washington, DC.
As of 1/24/2020
|4PM Bid/Offer Midpoint||$26.36||Premium Discount||$0.02|
|Assets Under Management||$33,578,430.94|
Shares are bought and sold at market price (closing price) not NAV and are not individually redeemed from the Fund. Market price returns are based on the midpoint of the bid/ask spread at 4:00 pm Eastern Time (when NAV is normally determined), and do not represent the return you would receive if you traded at other times.
As of 1/24/2020
|Date||Account Symbol||Stock Ticker||Security Number||Security||Shares||Price||Market Value||Weight %||Asset Group|
|01/24/2020||DWEQ||AYX||02156B103||ALTERYX INC - CLASS A||7,803||134.68||1,050,908.04||3.13%||S||1|
|PAYC||70432V102||PAYCOM SOFTWARE INC||3,009||314.81||947,263.29||2.82%||S|
|AWK||30420103||AMERICAN WATER WORKS CO INC||6,579||135.78||893,296.62||2.66%||S|
|COUP||22266L106||COUPA SOFTWARE INC||5,355||163.70||876,613.50||2.61%||S|
|AEP||25537101||AMERICAN ELECTRIC POWER||8,517||102.16||870,096.72||2.59%||S|
|LNT||18802108||ALLIANT ENERGY CORP||14,688||58.93||865,563.84||2.58%||S|
|CMS||125896100||CMS ENERGY CORP||12,801||67.49||863,939.49||2.57%||S|
|NEE||65339F101||NEXTERA ENERGY INC||3,264||263.72||860,782.08||2.56%||S|
|CDNS||127387108||CADENCE DESIGN SYS INC||11,475||74.58||855,805.50||2.55%||S|
|CHDN||171484108||CHURCHILL DOWNS INC||5,967||142.97||853,101.99||2.54%||S|
|PNM||69349H107||PNM RESOURCES INC||15,963||53.44||853,062.72||2.54%||S|
|ATO||49560105||ATMOS ENERGY CORP||7,242||117.38||850,065.96||2.53%||S|
|EPAM||29414B104||EPAM SYSTEMS INC||3,723||227.57||847,243.11||2.52%||S|
|HD||437076102||HOME DEPOT INC||3,570||232.00||828,240.00||2.47%||S|
|DTE||233331107||DTE ENERGY COMPANY||6,222||132.76||826,032.72||2.46%||S|
|NKE||654106103||NIKE INC -CL B||8,007||102.03||816,954.21||2.43%||S|
|MPWR||609839105||MONOLITHIC POWER SYSTEMS INC||4,437||183.29||813,257.73||2.42%||S|
|BBY||86516101||BEST BUY CO INC||9,078||89.44||811,936.32||2.42%||S|
|BURL||122017106||BURLINGTON STORES INC||3,468||220.74||765,526.32||2.28%||S|
|VAC||57164Y107||MARRIOTT VACATIONS WORLD||6,222||122.27||760,763.94||2.27%||S|
Fees & Expenses
The Advisor has contractually agreed to waive its fees and/or reimburse expenses in order to keep net expenses(excluding amounts payable pursuant to any plan adopted in accordance with Rule 12b-1, interest expense, taxes, brokerage commissions, acquired fund fees and expenses, other expenditures which are capitalized in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles, and extraordinary expenses) from exceeding 0.99% of each Fund’s average daily net assets for at least one year from the date of this Prospectus.
|Ex-Date||Record Date||Pay Date||Cash Div||ST Cap Gain||LT Cap Gain||Return of Capital||Total Distribution (per share)||DWMC|
AdvisorShares Investments, LLC
4800 Montgomery Lane,
Bethesda, Maryland 20814