PSIL - AdvisorShares Psychedelics ETF
Dedicated Investment in the Future of Psychedelics
Based on promising research, psychedelics have the potential to disrupt the mental healthcare industry.
<strong>What Does PSIL Invest In?</strong>
The AdvisorShares Psychedelics ETF (NYSE ticker: PSIL) invests in the emerging psychedelic drugs sector, offering exposure to those biotechnology, pharmaceutical and life sciences companies we see as leading the way in this nascent industry. Ongoing and growing research has shown various psychedelic substances offering promising medical and therapeutic potential for treating mental health issues and neurological disorders. PSIL concentrates its portfolio on companies deriving the majority of their net revenue or devoting the majority of their assets to psychedelic drugs.
Note – Due to custody limitations, investment exposure to OTC and foreign listed stocks may be via swap contracts. As a result, the ETF may have a larger than normal cash position as some cash may be held as collateral for the swaps.
<strong>Why Invest in PSIL?</strong>
- Emerging Growth Opportunity – The psychedelic drug sector faces some of the same hurdles that the cannabis industry faced. However, with research showing positive results in treating mental health issues, a focus on medical, rather than recreational use, and changing legalization, we believe psychedelics could cause a seismic shift in the evolution of medicine. Because this sector will see ongoing change and volatility, we think it is best to view PSIL as a long-term growth opportunity.
- Benefits of an ETF Structure – Because psychedelics are an emerging sector, we believe an ETF is the best way to invest – PSIL seeks to offer diversification across and access to multiple securities in a single trade, trading liquidity throughout the day on the NYSE, and daily transparency of holdings.
- Alpha Opportunity – PSIL may help capture early growth in this nascent psychedelic sector – offering dedicated psychedelic exposure when you want it
<strong>Where Can PSIL Fit in a Portfolio?</strong>
- Dedicated Psychedelic Exposure – PSIL invests in biotechnology, pharmaceutical and life science companies that derive a majority of their net revenue or devote a majority of their assets to psychedelic drugs. PSIL may offer exposure to some companies not found in other ETFs.
- Active Management – The psychedelic marketplace is rapidly evolving, witnessing ongoing innovation and an influx of new investment opportunities, as well as volatility. Using daily, active management, PSIL’s portfolio manager can adjust the portfolio more quickly and opportunistically than a passive index-based strategy that must wait for periodic rebalancing.
- Efficiency, Liquidity & Transparency – PSIL is traded throughout the day on the NSYE, discloses its holdings daily, and offers access to multiple securities in the psychedelic sector in a single trade.
<strong>About the Portfolio Manager</strong>
Dan Ahrens, Portfolio Manager
Mr. Ahrens is a Managing Director and the Chief Operating Officer of AdvisorShares. He is the portfolio manager of the Pure US Cannabis ETF (ticker: MSOS) – the first ETF to offer US cannabis exposure – the Pure Cannabis ETF (ticker: YOLO), the Vice ETF (ticker: VICE), the Hotel ETF (ticker: BEDZ) and the Restaurant ETF (ticker: EATZ).
He carries over two decades of experience in the financial services industry serving in a variety of senior-level capacities and is the author of Investing in Cannabis (Wiley, 2020) and Investing in Vice (St. Martin’s Press, 2004). Additionally, Mr. Ahrens has appeared on numerous financial programs including CNBC, CNN, Fox Business, ABC News and Bloomberg and has been featured, along with funds under his management in major national and trade publications including The Economist, the New York Times, Financial Times, and The Wall Street Journal.
Get a quick and easy introduction to the PSIL ETF.
Get a quick and easy introduction to the PSIL ETF.
|Assets Under Management||$6,501,344.42|
|30-Day Median bid-ask Spread||1.61|
Shares are bought and sold at market price (closing price) not NAV and are not individually redeemed from the Fund. Market price returns are based on the midpoint of the bid/ask spread at 4:00 pm Eastern Time (when NAV is normally determined), and do not represent the return you would receive if you traded at other times.
As of 5/31/2023
PSIL Regional Allocation
Source: Bloomberg & AdvisorShares
PSIL Market Capitalization
As of 5/31/2023
|NAV||Market Price Return||S&P 500 Index|
|Since Inception (9/15/2021, Annualized)||-64.12||-64.31||-2.44|
As of 3/31/2023
|NAV||Market Price Return||S&P 500 Index|
|Since Inception (9/15/2021 Annualized)||-67.31||-65.92||-3.94|
|Date||Account Symbol||Stock Ticker||Security ID||Security Description||Shares||Share Price||Market Value||Portfolio Weight||Asset Group|
|06/07/2023||PSIL||CMPS||20451W101||COMPASS PATHWAYS PLC||86,621.00||8.26||715,489.46||11.01%||FS|
|GHRS||G3855L106||GH RESEARCH PLC||43,668.00||12.38||540,609.84||8.32%||FS|
|ENVB||29405E208||ENVERIC BIOSCIENCES INC||100,429.00||4.11||412,763.19||6.35%||S|
|REUN||76134G103||REUNION NEUROSCIENCE INC||359,404.00||1.1||395,344.40||6.08%||FS|
|SAGE||78667J108||SAGE THERAPEUTICS INC||5,856.00||56.53||331,039.68||5.09%||S|
|ITCI||46116X101||INTRA-CELLULAR THERAPIES INC||5,068.00||65.13||330,078.84||5.08%||S|
|MNMD||60255C885||MIND MEDICINE MINDMED INC||88,415.00||3.62||320,062.30||4.92%||FS|
|RLMD||75955J402||RELMADA THERAPEUTICS INC||109,274.00||2.84||310,338.16||4.78%||S|
|LSDI||54960E104||LUCY SCIENTIFIC DISCOVERY IN||275,583.00||1.12||308,652.96||4.75%||FS|
|ATAI||N0731H103||ATAI LIFE SCIENCES NV||154,761.00||1.87||289,403.07||4.45%||FS|
|SEEL||81577F109||SEELOS THERAPEUTICS INC||318,792.00||0.9||286,912.80||4.41%||S|
|HUGE||35954B206||FSD PHARMA INC-CLASS B||241,292.00||1.18||284,724.56||4.38%||FS|
|DRUG||10919W108||BRIGHT MINDS BIOSCIENCES INC||521,665.00||0.55||284,411.76||4.38%||FS|
|NUMIF||67054W103||NUMINUS WELLNESS INC||1,574,082.00||0.17||269,640.25||4.15%||FS|
|GBNH||393704309||GREENBROOK TMS INC||241,934.00||0.68||164,515.12||2.53%||FS|
|DMTTF||831664107||SMALL PHARMA INC||2,099,457.00||0.06||117,359.65||1.81%||FS|
|CMND||185053204||CLEARMIND MEDICINE INC||123,257.00||0.54||66,780.64||1.03%||FS|
|PSYBF||693697104||PSYBIO THERAPEUTICS CORP||2,710,291.00||0.02||63,285.29||0.97%||FS|
|FTHWF||31656Q104||FIELD TRIP HEALTH & WELLNESS||1,058,415.00||0.01||FS|
|X9USDBLYT||BLACKROCK TREASURY TRUST INSTL 62||189,581.94||1||189,581.94||2.92%||MM|
|Acquired Fund Fees and Expenses(a)||0.01%|
|Fee Waiver/Expense Reimbursement(b)||-2.11%|
|Total Annual Operating Expenses||1.00%|
(a) Total Annual Operating Expenses and Total Annual Operating Expenses After Waiver/Reimbursement in this fee table may not correlate to the expense ratios in the Fund’s financial highlights. For more information, please read the full prospectus.
(b) The Advisor has contractually agreed to keep net expenses from exceeding 0.99% of the Fund’s average daily net assets for at least one year from the date of the prospectus. For more information, please read the full prospectus.
|Ex-Date||Record Date||Pay Date||Cash Div||ST Cap Gain||LT Cap Gain||Return of Capital||Total Distribution (per share)|
- Before investing you should carefully consider the Fund’s investment objectives, risks, charges and expenses. This and other information is in the prospectus, a copy of which may be obtained by visiting the Fund’s website at www.AdvisorShares.com. Please read the prospectus carefully before you invest. Foreside Fund Services, LLC, Distributor.
- There is no guarantee that the Fund will achieve its investment objective. An investment in the Fund is subject to risk, including the possible loss of principal amount invested.
- Psychedelic drugs, also known as hallucinogens, are a group of substances, including psilocybin, that are used to change and enhance sensory perceptions, thought processes, and energy levels. Psychedelic medicines, therapeutics, and healthcare treatments may be used in the treatment of illnesses such as depression, addiction, anxiety and post-traumatic stress disorder. Psychedelic medicine companies include life sciences companies having significant business activities in, or significant exposure to, the psychedelics industry including producers or distributors of psychedelic medicines, biotechnology companies engaged in research and development of psychedelic medicines, and companies that are part of the supply chain for psychedelics.
- Psychedelics Companies Risk. Psychedelics companies are subject to various laws and regulations that may differ at the state/local and federal level. These laws and regulations may significantly affect a psychedelics company’s ability to secure financing, impact the market for psychedelics and business sales and services, and set limitations on psychedelics use, production, transportation, and storage. There can be no guarantees that such approvals or administrative actions will happen or be favorable for psychedelics companies, and such actions may be subject to lengthy delays, and may require length and expensive clinical trials. Additionally, therapies containing controlled substances may generate public controversy. Political and social pressures and adverse publicity could lead to delays in approval of, and increased expenses for, companies and any future therapeutic candidates they may develop. All of these factors and others may prevent psychedelics companies from becoming profitable, which may materially affect the value of certain Fund investments. In addition, psychedelics are subject to the risks associated with the biotechnology and pharmaceutical industries.
- In Canada, certain psychedelic drugs, including psilocybin, are classified as Schedule III drugs under the Controlled Drugs and Substances Act (“CDSA”) and, as such, medical and recreational use is illegal under Canadian federal laws. In the United States, certain psychedelic drugs, including psilocybin, are classified as Schedule I drugs under the Controlled Substances Act (“CSA”) and the Controlled Substances Import and Export Act (the “CSIEA”) and, as such, medical and recreational use is illegal under the U.S. federal laws. There is no guarantee that psychedelic drugs or psychedelic-inspired drugs will ever be approved as medicines in either jurisdiction.
- In the United States, scheduling determinations by the Drug Enforcement Agency (“DEA”) are dependent on Food and Drug Administration (“FDA”) approval of a substance or a specific formulation of a substance. Unless and until psilocybin, psilocin, or other psychedelics-based products receive FDA approval, such products may be prohibited from sale, which could limit the growth opportunities for certain portfolio companies of the Fund. Even if approved by the FDA, the manufacture, importation, exportation, domestic distribution, storage, sale, and legitimate use of such products will continue to be subject to a significant degree of regulation by the DEA.
- Security prices of small cap companies may be more volatile than those of larger companies and therefore the Fund’s share price may be more volatile than those of funds that invest a larger percentage of their assets in securities issued by larger-cap companies. These risks are even greater for micro-cap companies.